Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Small things.

I spent the evening tonight at the dinner table for 2 hours with my family and our company; my little brother Patrick's godparents. The best part of it? We spent the entire time uninterrupted by the advances in modern technology. No cell phones, no TV on, etc.

Now in my mother's defense- we do sit down for homecooked meals quite often. In general though, someone is impatient to get up and go do something and that person is generally me! It's part of being a teenager, I always have somewhere to go. Tonight though, we had the young kids sitting in the kitchen, and us adults (which while I am not legally, I've entered the age where I can sit at the big kids table at Thanksgiving) sitting in our nice dining room. And it was nice having no one in a hurry to leave. We were able to discuss everything from boys to moving to prospective colleges in mine and Will's future.

After the death of my older brother and uncle, I constantly reminded myself that I needed to view the smaller things in life with more detail. I believe that I'm finally maturing enough to be able to truly appreciate those things. Maybe not in the full, but to a much higher extent then I would have experienced just a few years ago.

So this weekend I will be far away in a place where a cell phone tower doesn't exist and I think it will be good for me to spend a few quality days with my entire family- extended and all! I'm greatly looking forward to seeing my cousins and Aunt T and Uncle C from the east coast! As well as my cousins K and R along with their adorable daughter and son.

I'm excited for a weekend made for enjoying the little things in life that I haven't been paying attention to in my whirlwind of highschool.

Photobucket

My beautiful Ethiopian cousin I'll be seeing in just three short days!

1 comment:

The Coys said...

Aww... we can't wait to see you too! We are in Hood River now, awaiting all family meetings.

Etame is falling asleep now in her dinner. Better go and help her adjust to the time zone. See you soon - you are an excellent writer. You must be your mom's daughter.