Wednesday, October 12, 2011

College

I don't know that I can write this post saying that I felt 'prepared' for college. I'm currently studying at a college known for its nursing school in the Northwest. My life has become more busy than I ever would have imagined.

I think that's the number one difference from what I was expecting coming into school.

People make all these comments about how nice it is to not be in school Monday-Friday from 8-4, but in reality I feel just as time crunched. I'm in class MWF, till noon one day, till 6 another, and till 9 another (Can you guess which one is my favorite?)

The homework load isn't horrible- as long as you stay on track for the class. I can already tell you doing 8 assignments the night before is far worse than doing 8 assignments over the course of a week. However just because I can tell you this doesn't mean I always do it. Procrastination never wears off. ;)

Teachers expect a lot more from you as a student. There's a basis of knowledge for each class the teacher expects you to either know, or learn on your own. There's no reminders about due dates for assignments- if you didn't notice it on the syllabus 2 months ago, that's your fault.

There's the classes that you could fall asleep in and still get As on the tests. There's the classes that you can take the best notes in the world for and still get Cs on the tests.

I can guarantee your teachers will all have different writing styles that they prefer. You will not always use APA formatting. You will learn APA, MLA, Chicago Manual of Style, and formatting that the teacher invented out of the pure hatred for how much effort it takes of the student.

Your essays will NEVER be two pages double spaced. Expect 3 minimum. Typically 1,000 + words.

It's midterm week and I'm venting my stress out a bit. All in all, I actually love college. It's just a little shocking to adapt to the culture of it all. And it's truly nice to feel like I am finally learning things that I can apply to the real world and my job in the future.

Except Philosophy. I don't think I can pretend to benefit from that class considering my dislike for it. Just saying. :]

And what's truly making this experience worthwhile is the new friends I'm making. Definitely a bonus. And the old friends I'm reconnecting with.



And I thank god for the people in my life that keep me grounded!




Just a few of the many. Shout out to my little sisters who listen to my advice, complaining, and singing as they help me clean my room.

1 comment:

Ann said...

Hang in there! We love you! Fall break next week!